Health Insurance FAQs
1. What kind of health insurance is available to me as a Chaminade student?
Chaminade offers student plans through HMSA (Hawaii Medical Service Association). The plans offer medical/drug and dental coverage. Non-student plans are also available through Kaiser Permanente.

2. Who is eligible to enroll in the HMSA Chaminade University Student Plan?
Students enrolled at Chaminade University. Undergraduate and graduate students must have at least a half-time credit load (Undergraduates: 6 credits; Graduates: 3 credits or 1 credit of Thesis).

3. How do I enroll?
For HMSA plans, students can go to Students may apply online or call customer service with additional options (locally 808-948-5555, select option 2). Enrollment dates/deadlines are listed on the application.

For Kaiser Permanente plans please visit their website directly.

In regard to additional options, students may conduct an individual search for comparable coverage through various other insurance plans. Be sure to consider the best options to meet your health needs. While attending Chaminade University, it is important for students to protect their health and financial stability by having adequate health coverage to address minor and major illnesses that may arise.

4. Is dental coverage offered?
Yes, dental coverage is now an option on HMSA plans only. Please see Benefit Summary at

5. If I purchase the student plan, how much will it cost to see a doctor?
Costs vary from plan to plan. Refer to Benefit Summaries of your particular plan for this information (available at plan websites).

6. How do I locate a local health care provider?
Both HMSA and Kaiser Permanente offer a provider locator on their websites for those students covered by their plans.

7. If I need to speak to someone about the plan I choose, who can I call?
If you have a question, problem or need more information, you can call HMSA Customer Service at (808)948-5555, Kaiser Permanente at (800)494-5314. If you have a question or ongoing problem that cannot be answered or resolved, you may call the Counseling Center at (808)739-4603.