View our campus parking policy, U-Pass Application requirements, and the Van Policy
Campus Parking Policy for Students
Academic Year 2017-2018, effective first day of classes The Parking Permit Application can be downloaded from the University Portal.
Information for Vehicle Registration (including Motorcycles and Mopeds)
- Chaminade University of Honolulu is a privately owned property and Chaminade University, by law, has the right to regulate traffic and decide who may park motor vehicles on campus.
- Only students registered to attend classes at Chaminade University may park a vehicle on campus. Students must register their vehicle (cars, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds) and pay the required fee at the Business Office, and comply with Chaminade’s traffic and parking regulations. Fees apply to one semester only.
- Parking on campus is at the owner’s risk. Granting permission to park on campus should in no way be construed as making the Marianist Center of Hawaii, Chaminade University, or its employees liable for any damage or theft which may occur.
- If any vehicle or its parts or contents are damaged or stolen, the incident must be immediately reported to the Campus Security Office, located in the Henry Hall Annex Building or call (808) 735-4792.
- If you damage an unoccupied vehicle on campus, report it immediately to the Campus Security Office, leave a note under the windshield wiper of the other car, stating your name, telephone #, license plate # and the name of your insurance carrier. There is no substitute for courtesy and respect for the rights of others.
- Chaminade University may sell more decals than there are parking spaces (because of the various days of school and class times). Therefore, parking is on a first come first served basis. The Parking Permit is good for the semester it is issued for.
Procedures for Registering Vehicles
Students go to the Business Office on the 1st Floor of the Clarence T.C. Ching Hall to register a vehicle and to purchase a parking permit. Faculty and staff go to the Personnel Office in Clarence T.C. Ching to obtain a permit at no cost.
- Completed Parking Application Form
- Current Vehicle Registration
- Valid Driver’s License
- Current Validated CUH Student ID
- Upon presentation of the required documentation and payment of the required fee, the vehicle will be registered and a parking permit issued for the current semester only.
- Vehicle parking permits must be adhered to the exterior, bottom left corner of the front windshield (driver-side) of the vehicle.
- Do not attach decal with tape or any other form of adhesive. The Parking Permit decal is self-adhesive and should be applied as soon as purchased.
- Permits are not transferable from person to person or vehicle to vehicle and are not to be altered or sold.
- Motorcycle and moped permits must be attached to the front fender.
- Permits may be purchased and vehicles may be registered at the Business Office located in the ClarenceT.C. Ching Hall Lobby Monday through Friday, between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, except on University holidays.
- The registered driver is responsible for the vehicle while at a Chaminade on- or off-campus facility and for all citations issued to their vehicle permit number.
- If the vehicle is sold or otherwise disposed of, it is the responsibility of the student to remove the permit from the vehicle and return it to the Business Office. A replacement vehicle must be registered as indicated above before a replacement permit is issued.
- The theft and/or altering of a parking permit is a felony. Violators may face felony charges. In addition, a campus fine of $200 plus additional sanctions will be imposed on those found in violation.
- Visitor parking passes may be issued to persons having business on campus during office hours.
- Parking passes may be obtained from the Campus Security Office.
- Park in the 15-minute stall located in the Parking Garage near the Campus Security Office while obtaining a visitor’s parking pass. Guests visiting the President’s Office may obtain passes from the Clarence T.C. Ching Hall Cashier.
- Visitors with parking passes must park in the parking structure in stalls designated CUH Parking.
- See page 4 under Residence Hall Parking for residence hall guest parking passes.
- Visitors’ passes for longer than one day must be approved by the Office of the Dean of Students. Students will be required to submit documentation related to the request.
Traffic and Parking Regulations
These regulations shall govern parking and operation of all vehicles on campus and shall be in effect 24 hours daily, 365 days per year:
- All posted signs regarding traffic control and parking must be observed. Violations will subject the registered driver to citations or possible towing. Do not assume parking is permissible in areas without signage.
- Kaminaka entrance is one-way only. The entrance will be open Monday through Friday from 6:30 am to 2:00 pm during the Fall and Spring terms. During the summer it is open from 6:30 am to 8:30 am. It is closed on weekends and holidays. It is not to be used as an exit from campus at any time. Attempts to exit from this location may result in a $50 citation.
- All traffic must proceed in the designated direction, including mopeds, motorcycles and golf carts. Failure to comply with these instructions will result in the loss of parking privileges. Note that the traffic pattern is different between midnight and 6 am. During this time period, the road passing the Campus Security Office is two-way and vehicles are required to check-in with Campus Security.
- Through traffic is not allowed on the Second Road between 8 am and 4 pm on school days. Access to the Second Road during this time is for Faculty/Staff designated to park in that area.
- The Chaminade campus speed limit is 10 MPH, unless otherwise posted. Saint Louis School speed limit is posted at 5 MPH.
- No storage of vehicles is allowed anywhere on campus.
- No overnight parking is allowed except for students living in the residence halls.
- Upon notice of a violation, the individual will be given 7 working days to pay such fines at the Business Office.
- Violation of these regulations may result in the removal of the vehicle from the premises at the expense of the permit holder or registered owner. Revocation or suspension of permit may occur without refund. All imposed fines are above and beyond any vehicle removal and storage charges. The permit holder shall be liable for fines for violations, whether driving or not.
- If your vehicle is towed, please contact the Campus Security Office, or call (808) 735-4792. All outstanding citations must be paid in full to the Business Office (cash or credit card) during business hours (8:30 am-4:30 pm).
- Student transcripts and graduation certificates will be held until all parking citation fines have been satisfied. There may also be a registration hold for unpaid fines.
Traffic and Parking Fines
After 4th unpaid/outstanding citation = Vehicle Tow
- Disregard One Way: $75
- Disregard Traffic Sign: $50
- Disabled Parking: $500
- Reserved Staff (Sign Posted): $50
- Blocking Crosswalk: $25
- Loading Zone: $25
- Red Curb: Tow
- No Parking (Sign Posted): $25
- Restricted Areas (Marked Lines): $25
- Faculty/Staff Stalls: $25
- Parked Outside Stall: $25
- Improper Permit Display: $25
- Expired Permit: $50
- No Permit: $50
- Altered or Illegal Permit: $200
Please note: After 2nd unpaid/ outstanding citation= vehicle tow
Parking Citation Appeals
Any person may appeal a parking citation. Appeals must be submitted in writing within three (3) working days after the alleged violation to the Office of the Dean of Students in Henry Hall 221. Failure to appeal within the 3-day period shall be deemed as an admission of the alleged violation. There are no exceptions to the deadline.
On-Campus Parking Areas Between 6:00 AM and 4:00 PM
- Between 6:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except University holidays), vehicles may be parked only in the designated Student Parking areas on campus. In the parking garage, stalls (6 through 170) are designated for CUH parking.
- Student parking is authorized in spaces marked by white lines (unless otherwise noted by signage). A parked vehicle must be inside the lines on each side of the vehicle.
- If you do not understand where to park, please go to the Campus Security Office or call (808)735-4792. A space not marked with a NO PARKING sign does not necessarily imply that it is an authorized parking space. Be aware of the different parking designations on campus:
- Yellow lines and curbs designate Faculty/Staff parking. Students may not park in these spaces.
- Blue and/or green stalls indicate special parking. Do not park in these stalls.
- In the parking structure, white CUH stalls (#6 to 170) are for students, faculty, staff and visitor parking.
- There are designated parking areas for motorcycles and mopeds, located on the 3rd road across from the Sullivan Family Library building, by Kieffer Hall, and in the Resident Parking lot near Hale Pohaku. In addition, moped parking has been designated in the Campus Store/Mailroom parking lot in the lower campus area.
- 24 hour reserved space. Violators will be towed.
- WARNING: Do not park your vehicle at any time in a driveway, walkway, grassy area, red curb, fire hydrant, crosswalk, loading zone, front of boulders blocking a road, garbage dumpsters, emergency entrance (located in front of Henry Hall leading to McCabe Gym), handicapped parking stalls (unless you have an approved placard and documentation issued by the Department of Transportation), Marianist Hall Parking Lot (located on the Diamond Head side of Eiben Hall), Hale Malia Marianist Community Parking Lot located off Kieffer Road, or on the curb side of Clarence T.C. Ching Hall. Vehicles parking in these areas will be subject to towing. Vehicles parked in red curb areas will be subject to IMMEDIATE towing at owner’s expense.
- For ADA parking, please check with the Campus Security Office. Parking violations on ADA stalls carry a $500 fine. Appeals for these citations are not granted.
Residence Hall Parking
- Resident parking is available near each residence hall to accommodate those students who live nearest to those parking areas. All vehicles must have a residence hall parking permit to park in on-campus and off-campus housing. Do not park in stalls that are designated for Saint Louis High School, or Chaminade faculty or staff or you will be ticketed, booted and/or towed at your expense. Applications for parking passes for off campus residential areas (Date Street and 3353 Waialae Avenue) are processed at the Residential Life Office. All parking permits may be purchased from the Business Office. Parking is at the resident’s risk; the Residential Life Office is not liable for any stolen and/or damaged items or vehicles.
- *** Authorized overnight guest and temporary resident parking passes may be obtained from the Residential Life Office during normal working hours. The passes are for three days at a time and limited to 3 per semester. There is no visitor parking at the off campus halls.
- *** Residents who obtain rental cars must inform the Residential Life Office and request a temporary parking pass.
- Summer residents must obtain a parking permit from the Residential Life Office. Vehicles parked at the Summer Residence halls are subject to parking policies.
- During the Winter Break, residents who reside in the apartments are encouraged to move their vehicles on to the main campus.
Parking Between 4:00 PM and Midnight and on Weekends and Holidays
Generally, you may park your vehicle in any designated parking stall on campus or in the parking structure between 4:00 pm and 12:00 midnight with the exception of the following:
- Stalls marked with signage indicating specific days/hours that the stalls are reserved.
- Parking areas in front of the Clarence T.C. Ching Hall are not available until after 4:30 pm Monday through Friday and other times as stated on signage.
- Parking is not allowed around the Oval on any day between midnight and 6:00 am. Violators will be towed.
- Guest parking privileges terminate at midnight. Guest vehicles parked on or off-campus facilities overnight without approval are subject to towing at owner’s expense.
- During the seven days of the week, after midnight, you may only park in the on- or off-campus resident parking lots if you have a Residential Life Parking Permit. All vehicles must be removed from the premises by midnight. Guests parking in the on- or off-campus resident parking lots without a Temporary Parking Permit will be subject to towing at owners expense.
- Please note that parking regulations are subject to change during the year due to construction or emergencies.
Notices will be posted on the CUH website.
U-Pass Bus Pass
Full-time day undergraduate students may purchase a reduced rate bus pass by completing the U-PASS Bus Pass Application. A current Chaminade University ID with a current validation sticker is required. Contact the Business Office at (808) 735-4768 with any questions. U-Pass applications are available for download on the Student Portal.
Employees, students, registered clubs, and organizations of the University who have completed the certification process and have been approved by Chaminade University’s Safety Officer may use the vans for University-only business, and University-sponsored functions and activities such as:
- University business conducted by individuals/groups from various departments
- Athletics & recreational sports and off-campus practices/games
- Field trips/classroom-related outings
- Off-campus programs
- University-related airport drop-off and pick-up
- Volunteer activities
Please review the Vehicle Use and Driver Responsibility Policies before requesting a van as it covers the certification procedure, driver and passenger requirements as well as general policies about van usage and emergency procedures. The Van Request Form and Van Operation Certification Form can be completed on the Chaminade Portal.